Job SummaryThe Facilities Supervisor maintains and oversees all facility grounds, buildings, and laboratory equipment ensuring a safe and functional workspace. This position also serves as the site, Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) representative responsible for environmental compliance and the safety, health, and well_being of all members at the site. This role performs many maintenance, safety and management tasks that promote a clean, safe, and healthy working environment for the building’s employees, including_
Facilities Management responsibilities_
- Plans and coordinates all facility equipment installations (telecommunications, HVAC, electricity etc.) and refurbishments for the 66,000 square foot building.
- Develops and implements facilities management procedures and policies.
- Manages the upkeep of equipment and supplies to meet health and safety standards.
- Performs routine inspections of the interior facility and exterior buildings’ structures ensuring safety concerns, repairs, and/ or renovations are reported and resolved in a timely manner.
- Manages all facilities staff (permanent, temporary, and external contractors)
- Coordinates routine maintenance on facilities equipment, making repairs as needed.
- Manages the testing and maintenance of facility safety equipment, including but not limited to fire extinguishers, fire detection/alarm, sprinkler systems and lab hood ventilation systems.
- Manages security measures, including collaborating with security system vendors (card access, cameras, burglar, etc.).
- Collaborate with building owners and upper management on budgeting for facility’s needs.
- Handles community relations, visits, and inspections with the fire department, police department, rescue, municipal and State government (NJ Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), etc.) as well as local residences.
- Enforces office delegation policy and manages selection and purchasing of all office furnishings.
- Develop and implement facilities Business Continuity Plan (BCP).
Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities_
- Manages the facility’s hazardous materials shipping, handling, and hazardous waste disposal programs (DOT /HAZMAT certification required) in compliance with relevant regulations.
- Ensures incidents are properly reported and documented in the corporate incident management system, investigated, and corrective actions are identified and completed.
- Records OSHA recordable injuries on the facility OSHA 300A log
- Review and maintain site HSE policies and procedures (R&D lab’s Chemical Hygiene Plan) and ensure that required HSE training, such as hazard communication, personal protective equipment (PPE), life critical procedures, etc. are provided to facility and laboratory employees.
- Serve as the facility emergency incident commander, ensuring the emergency response plan is kept up to date, staff are routinely trained, and drills conducted on critical impacts to operation and facility emergency procedures.
- Ensure compliance with the requirements of facility EHS permits, such as the air permit for the emergency generator.
What will it take?
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 8 years of combined experience
- Advanced mechanical skills and knowledge of plumbing, HVAC and other building systems
- Proficiency with repair tools and techniques
- Safety and HSE certifications including HAZMAT, DOT & OSHA, preferred
- Functional experience in operations, customer service and developing and implementing programs
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to speak with all levels of the organization, vendors and contractors
- Effective time management, organization, and prioritization abilities
- Keen attention to detail and efficient problem_solving skills
- Ability to lift equipment and comfortable standing or walking for long periods of time
- Available during off hours as needed to address emergencies